Current:Home > reviewsU.S. weighing options in Africa after Niger junta orders departure from key counterterrorism base -Capitatum
U.S. weighing options in Africa after Niger junta orders departure from key counterterrorism base
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:50:58
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon is working with Niger officials to find a way for U.S. troops to stay in the country — a key base for counterterrorism operations in sub-Saharan Africa — following a weekend directive that they leave.
Last week a high level-delegation of U.S. officials, including Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Molly Phee, Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs Celeste Wallander and the head of U.S. Africa Command Gen. Michael Langley, traveled to Niger to meet with members of the military junta.
Pentagon deputy press secretary Sabrina Singh said Monday the U.S. officials had “lengthy and direct” discussions with the junta officials that were also in part spurred by concerns over Niger’s potential relationships with Russia and Iran.
“We were troubled on the path that Niger is on,” Singh said.
On Saturday, following the meeting, the junta’s spokesperson, Col. Maj. Amadou Abdramane, said U.S. flights over Niger’s territory in recent weeks were illegal. Meanwhile, Insa Garba Saidou, a local activist who assists Niger’s military rulers with their communications, criticized U.S. efforts to force the junta to pick between strategic partners.
“The American bases and civilian personnel cannot stay on Nigerien soil any longer,” he told The Associated Press.
Singh said the U.S. was aware of the March 16 statement “announcing the end of the status of forces agreement between Niger and the United States. We are working through diplomatic channels to seek clarification. These are ongoing discussions and we don’t have more to share at this time.”
The junta has largely been in control in Niger since July when mutinous soldiers ousted the country’s democratically elected president and months later asked French forces to leave.
The U.S. military still had some 650 troops working in Niger in December, largely consolidated at a base farther away from Niamey, Niger’s capital. Singh said the total number of personnel still in country, including civilians and contractors, is roughly 1,000.
The Niger base is critical for U.S. counterterrorism operations in the Sahel and has been used for both manned and unmanned surveillance operations, although Singh said the only drone flights being currently conducted are for force protection.
In the Sahel the U.S. has also supported local ground troops, including accompanying them on missions. However, such accompanied missions have been scaled back since U.S. troops were killed in a joint operation in Niger in 2017.
veryGood! (2658)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Pennsylvania woman faces life after conviction in New Jersey murders of father, his girlfriend
- Trader Joe's recall: Steamed chicken soup dumplings could contain pieces of hard plastic
- Body parts of 2 people found in Long Island park and police are trying to identify them
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- 'The Black Dog': Taylor Swift announces fourth and final version of 'Tortured Poets'
- Kristin Cavallari Claps Back at Criticism Over Her Dating a 24-Year-Old
- Item believed to be large balloon discovered by fishermen off Alaskan coast
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- The Trump trials: A former president faces justice
Ranking
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Missouri governor commutes prison sentence for ex-Kansas City Chiefs coach who seriously injured child in drunken-driving wreck
- Vice President Kamala Harris to join in marking anniversary of Bloody Sunday on Alabama bridge
- Texas wildfires map: Track latest locations of blazes as dry weather, wind poses threat
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Actor Will Forte says completed Coyote vs. Acme film is likely never coming out
- Why Joey Graziadei Is Defending Sydney Gordon After Bachelor Drama
- April's total solar eclipse will bring a surreal silence and confuse all sorts of animals
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Police charge man after pregnant Amish woman slain in Pennsylvania
First over-the-counter birth control pill heads to stores
A New Jersey city that limited street parking hasn’t had a traffic death in 7 years
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
32 things we learned from 2024 NFL scouting combine: Xavier Worthy sets 40 record, J.J. McCarthy builds buzz
Michelle Troconis found guilty of conspiring to murder Jennifer Dulos, her bf's ex-wife
RHOSLC’s Heather Gay Admits Ozempic Use Made Her Realize Body Positivity Was a Lie